Thursday, February 5, 2015

Word of the Year | 2015

So, I'm always a little hesitant to set New Year's Resolutions. I'm pretty sure it's because I have some commitment issues. I don't like starting something I can't complete, and a year is a LONG time to keep a desire going strong - especially if it requires some effort and hard work. I don't want to say that I am going to do _______ (insert typical resolutions here) then have it come to a halting stop sometime in February or March because I've gotten so overwhelmed or frustrated at my inability to keep my commitment. Therefore, I tend to wince whenever the topic of New Year's Resolutions comes up.

An idea I heard about in college and have seen going on a LOT this year is to pick a "Word of the Year." You can check out some great examples here and here. Instead of a checklist of things to accomplish or a series of thou shalt nots, a word for the year allows you to focus on one element and continue forward. Instead of being restrictive, it allows for momentum to build. There is less guilt and more intentionality. It's not so demeaning because it focuses on progressive change rather than an impossible jump. This is why I love the idea.

Again, I struggle with committing, so I was even reluctant to pick one word. But the more I've been thinking about what I want to do and what I want to see happen this year, the more I've been set on one word. It's a little late, what with it already being February and all. But hey, better to be sure, right? Are you ready? Here it is:


I want to dream this year. 

This will be my first whole year out of school. The first year that I don't have any big plans set (getting married, graduating, moving across country, etc.). The first year that I'm not starting something new. The first year that I'm "for sure" settled in, at least for awhile. The first year where I can essentially focus on whatever I want (within reason). This year I'll have more available time than I've had, well, ever. 

Therefore, I want to dream. I want to dream BIG! I want to dream for myself - my relationship with God, goals, learning, writing, picking up a new hobby, the list could go on and on. I want to push and challenge myself in the day to day. I want to dream for my family. I want to dream for my ministry. I want to dream for my home. I want to dream in all areas of life. I want to push the limits of my imagination, say "what if," and then go find out. I don't want these dreams to remain a fantasy, I want them to be worked at and lived out. I want to explore new things and discover new adventures. This is a year for me to dream big ideas and turn them into a reality. 

So, my 2015 word of the year is DREAM.

What do you want to dream up this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment